Just saw Kingsman: The Golden Circle with my wonderful husband Eric Mikols and here I am fresh from the cinema to share my 2 cents! First, let me say that despite the complaints I have I liked it for the most part! It wasn’t as good as the first one but it was entertaining and watchable. Spoilers from here on out!
- I thought all the action scenes were great! I think the director (Matthew Vaughn) understood that everyone loved that crazy church scene from the first movie and so he made several similar fights in Golden Circle. And it worked on me because I was in it!
- The opening fight scene was definitely the best of the movie. Cool moves, good music, shoe knife, etc.
- There were several puppies. I love puppies.
- I like Eggsy as a charachter. Love his accent, love his clothes, love his moral delemas.
- Great cast! Even if you don’t see a ton of the new people, it’s definitely a great line up. Taron Egerton, Channing Tatum, Halle Barry, Pedro Pascal, Julianne Moore, Mark Strong, Colin Firth and Jeff Bridges! What could go wrong?!
- I felt this story line should have been saved for the third movie. By the end of the first movie, we had just settled in to loving all these characters and then in Golden Circle, they literally kill all of them! Except Colin Firth who was already dead! I feel like this story line would have had a bigger emotional hit for the audience if we had been given another movie to get used to the Kingsman agency. It felt like they were trying to get emotions from me that I couldn’t feel yet because they hadn’t been earned. It would be like blowing up MI6 and killing M in the 2nd ever James Bond movie (that didn’t happen right?). When MI6 did get blown up in Skyfall, it was a major moment for the audience because we all felt that significance. We had time to get that sense of security before it was taken away. For that reason, I think they should have held off on destroying Kingsman until later in the series.
- Bad use of charachters. I can’t believe they killed Roxy at the beginning of the movie. That seems like a complete waste. Speaking of a complete waste, why would you put Channing Tatum in your movie and then not have him in the movie? He was out of commission for all of it! I mean, I like Pedro Pascal but I think it would’ve been more fun to see Channing Tatum gun-slinging it with Egerton. Jeff Bridges was barely in it, Halle Berry didn’t do much, the Elton John stuff didn’t work, and speaking of….
- What the heck was all that Elton John stuff? It was just kind of weird? And unnecessary? He just stood there in crazy costumes and swore a lot. It seemed like a really random thing that added nothing to the film.
- The villain, Julianne Moore, was just meh. She’s peppy but she’ll also put you in a meat grinder. Speaking of which, there was TOO MUCH MEAT GRINDER STUFF! I liked her whole 1950’s vibe but she doesn’t leave much of an impression and she dies too easily. Also, her plan is very similar to the villain plan in the first movie so that was kind of boring.
- Merlin dying was stupid. They definitely could have found another way.
- I get that R rated movies have swearing, but I think this movie over did it. It was almost every other word and , for me, very unnecessary. Also, the close up shot of the woman’s crotch and then the inside look at her vagina was unneeded and gross. Both those things make it so I can’t really recommend this movie to people. If they would just take out the swearing and other stuff and make it PG13 I think I would have it more.
- All I could think about when they were putting everyone infected in cages was how bad I feel for the people on the bottom cages! The probably are surrounded by fecal matter and urine from the above cages!
- Was the president supposed to be an evil Bush?
- I loved how Poppy’s guard’s uniform was a Letterman jacket
- Obviously if you hold a glass vial precariously between 2 fingers, it’s going to drop and break.
- I loved the country version of “Word Up” at the end!
- Are we supposed to believe that every drug user in the world is getting their drugs from Poppy?
- If you put a whip in a meat grinder, it will probably shred the rope and break, not drag you into it?
So, in conclusion, if you liked the first movie you probably will enjoy this one too. Just be prepared to not like it as much. And be prepared to turn you face away from the screen several times. I give this movie 3 out of 5 stars.
What did you think of Kingsman: The Golden Circle? Let me know your thoughts below!